Joe’s Ancient Spiced Mead
- 5kg Raw Honey – Orange Blossom
- 1 Lg Orange – cut up in to slices that fit your demi-john or carboy
- 25 - 30 Raisins
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 - 2 Whole Cloves – they can be strong in flavour
- 1 Pinch (Nutmeg or Allspice)
- 5g Mead Yeast or even bread yeast would work
- Water to fill to 4.25L mark
- 5L Demi-john/carboy – cleaned and sanitized with silicon bored bung and airlock.
- In a saucepan warm up the honey and some water (1-2L). just to dissolve honey. Once cooled off – use a funnel and pour into demi-john.
- Wash the orange well. slice small enough to push them through opening. rinds included.
- Add raisins, cloves, cinnamon stick and nutmeg.
- Fill with water to 4.25L mark 8 - 10cm from the top (or pre-mark your demi-john).
- Seal the demi-john and shake like crazy 2 - 3mins, aeration process helps with fermentation.
- Set aside to cool. Once at room temperature you can add the dry yeast
- Add the bored silicon bung and airlock. Sit back and let it do its thing! Don’t Touch!!! Put in a dark space, it will start working very soon. After major foaming stops in a few days, you may need to add some water then again – Don’t Touch!!!
Racking - Don't you dare
Additional feeding - NO NO NO
More stirring or shaking - You're not listening, don't touch
After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself.
Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long.
If it is clear, it is ready!