Robertson Potato Sausage
Eastern European potato sausage made with diced potatoes,
bacon bits, fresh herbs, and spices - Serves 8
- 1kg potatoes peeled and diced about ½ cm
- 450g bacon cooked and chopped or diced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
- 2 medium onions peeled and diced about ½ cm
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and pressed
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs any one or a combination of parsley, dill, green onion or chives, basil, and cilantro.
- 450g ground or diced meat – you may use chuck, chicken thighs, pork butt, etc.
Hog Casing Size #36 – approx. 2m
- Soak and rinse the hog casings
- Place the diced potatoes and the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
- Place Mixture in freezer for 15 - 20min to chill
- Stuff the potato mixture into the hog casings, not too tightly and tie them into two links of equal size. Prickle the top with a needle (stuffing the sausages loosely and prickling will help prevent splitting during cooking)
- Shape each link into a spiral
- Preheat the steamer, steam both sausages if the size of the steamer allows or one by one for 60 minutes
- Remove the cooked sausages from the steamer and set them aside
- Preheat a skillet with a mix of 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp cooking oil.
- Sear the sausages over medium to medium - high heat until well browned on each side, about a few minutes per side
- Enjoy hot from the pan with your favourite side dish or a salad
- Any leftovers can be refrigerated and consumed cold the next day or re-heated.