Jalapeño Bacon & Cheddar Sourdough Bread
Active Sourdough Starter:
15g sourdough starter
50g baker’s flour
50g warm water
100 g sourdough starter active
360 g water 30 grams divided
50 g whole wheat flour
450 g bread flour
10 g fine sea salt
Add in Ingredients:
60g sliced jalapeños pickled or fresh
60g cooked bacon pieces
115g sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
Feed your Sourdough Starter:
- 12 hours before you plan to mix the dough, add the ingredients to make ½ cup (100 g) of active sourdough starter to a clean jar.
- Stir until combined, loosely cover the jar and let the starter rise at room temperature. (This will create a total of 115 g active starter but some of it will stick to the sides of the jar during the transfer, so we are making a little more than needed.)
- The sourdough starter is ready to use when it has doubled in size and there are plenty of bubbles on the surface and sides of the jar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 330 grams of water and 100 grams active sourdough starter, stir to combine.
- Add 50 grams whole wheat flour and 450 grams bread flour and use your hands to combine the ingredients until there are no dry bits and the dough looks like a shaggy mass.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest on the counter for 1 hour.
- Add 10 grams of salt to the remaining 30 grams of water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve.
- Add the salt water to the dough and use your hands to work it in until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and let rest on the counter for 1 hour.
- Perform 3 sets of stretch and folds, 30 minutes apart, over the first hour and a half.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, and jalapeños to the dough during the second set of stretch and folds.
- Keep the bowl covered between sets. Once finished with the third set of stretch and folds, cover the dough, and allow to rise at room temperature for an additional 2-3 hours. (Alternatively, you can cover the dough and let it rest in the fridge for up to 36 hours.)
How to perform a set of stretch and folds:
While the dough is still in the bowl, pick up one side with a wet hand. Pull it up and over itself. Turn the bowl and repeat this action on 4 sides of the dough until the bowl has come full circle.
Shape and Second Rise:
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and shape into a rough ball. (The outside of the dough will not be smooth).
- Flour the top of the dough and place into a floured proving basket, top side down.
- Allow to rise at room temperature for 2 - 3 hours or until it has risen about 20% - 30%.
Preheat the oven, with the Dutch oven inside, to 500° for 30 minutes.
Score and Bake:
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and score the top with a razor.
- Remove the Dutch oven and place on stove top.
- Use the parchment paper as a sling and lift the dough up and into the Dutch oven.
- Cover with the lid, turn oven down to 450° and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake an additional 20 - 25 minutes or until the crust is at the desired colour.
Let the bread cool on a cooling rack for 2 hours before cutting.