Sweet Potato Kvass
Learn how to make naturally fermented sweet potato soda/beer
a healthy probiotic bubbly drink.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Fermentation: Time 7 days
Calories: 150 – 200kcal
2L Mason Jar with an airlock
or Tea Towel and a rubber band
4 x 500ml Flip Top Bottles for storing
360g shredded sweet potatoes (1 medium)
150g sugar to taste, white or raw
Water as needed
- Combine the shredded sweet potato and sugar in a 2L vessel.
- Fill the rest of the vessel with water, leaving 25mm of headspace.
- Cover with a permeable lid such as a clean cloth secured with a rubber band or canning ring.
- Set at room temperature to ferment for 3 to 5 days stirring twice a day.
- It will start to get bubbly and beginning to get tangy, during this time, yeast may accumulate on the surface of the ferment.
- If it does, you can simply scoop it out. It will abate during the second fermentation.
- Once the initial fermentation is complete, strain the sweet potato from the kvass and transfer the liquid to airtight bottles, leaving a bit of headspace because the carbonation should be strong.
- Once bottled, leave to ferment at room temperature for at least 2 to 4 days or until the beverage has a bit of tang and is carbonated.
- Consume within a few days if storing at room temperature, or refrigerate for 1 to 2 weeks, checking the carbonation frequently to avoid the build-up of too much pressure.
- This recipe was gathered from the internet and tested by us.
- Makes approximately 1.4L
- Fermentation Time: 5 to 9 days
- Storage Time: Several days at room temperature or 1 to 2 weeks in the refrigerator
3cm grated ginger
1 - 2cm grated turmeric root
2 Cinnamon Sticks
5 - 7 whole Cloves